EA Boss Calls Battlefield 4 Launch “Unacceptable”, And Rightfully So
EA CEO Andrew Wilson has come out to say what we all already know, with regards to the insufferable launch of Battlefield 4 that the boss has labelled “unacceptable”.
It went as far as DICE being forced to suspend all DLC development (oh, the horror!) two months after the game’s initial release so that it could fix the numerous critical problems afflicting the popular shooter.
- You’ll Be Able To Play (Expensive) PS2 Games On Your PS4 Now | 2 months ago
- Jessica Jones Disempowers Its Male Characters And The Effect Is Refreshing | 2 months ago
- Hell Is 30 000 Deathclaws Tearing Through Boston And It’s Glorious | 2 months ago
- Sony Santa Monica Is Teasing Something Truly Strange | 2 months ago
“For clarity it wasn’t actually a server problem for Battlefield 4,” EA boss Andrew Wilson told Eurogamer. “It was a client side problem. Right now the game is playing extremely well, and people are in there and having a lot of fun. I’m still playing it.
“For me, the situation we had was unacceptable. For the team it was unacceptable. We have worked tirelessly since then to make sure the gameplay experience got to where it absolutely should have been at launch and we’re focused on that and we continue to deliver value to that player base.”
Wilson went on to say that EA has made numerous changes to development processes so that a repeat situation can be avoided.
“We have changed development processes, we’ve changed development timelines and we’ve changed testing processes and beta processes, all with a view to not have the issues again.”
The executive, while not wanting to “abdicate responsibility whatsoever”, stated that DICE struggled to implement new features partly due to building Battlefield 4 on unfinished console platforms.
“What was happening with Battlefield 4, even as we were pushing all of this innovation, was a lot of it we couldn’t test until really late in the phase. I believe it was unique.”
DICE boss Karl-Magnus Troedsson also had some words to share with Eurogamer: “Was I surprised at the reaction? No. Were we a bit surprised by the state of the game? Yes. For sure.
“People in the studio have taken this very personally. It has led to some very tough discussions about what we’re doing. We’re looking forward, we’re not looking backward any more, and saying, ‘okay, what do we take out of this hardening experience and what does that mean for us moving forward?'”
Until Hardline launches, these are words. Just make damn sure you don’t do this again, EA. Unacceptable is a mild way of putting it.
Anyway, the newest entry in the series, Visceral’s Battlefield Hardline, is due to release on October 23 for PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox One and Xbox 360. Wilson stated that the game had a three year development time.
Earlier this month DICE said that it’s considering some early access strategies for future Battlefield games. EA launched a Battlefield Hardline multiplayer beta on PC and PS4 this week.